A four letter word

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Many people do not Know the extra care needed when using a amphicar.Bilge must be kept clean or the pump will get plugged up and not work, then bad things can happen.
Also the frames in these cars can and do get water in them with no way back out / Water metal and air equals RUST!
I hole sawed a hole in frame at trany area to inspect, This should be done to every Amphi out there!

LikeShow more reactions
CommentShare

jfriese

Hi Gord,

I did a tech article for the club newsletter about 13 years ago with details on a few tricks I developed back then. You were more aggressive with the size of your holes (mine being about 1 1/8") and I suggested rubber plugs for these holes if your car ran wet. I also installed brass drains at the front of the rails ( by the front wheel wells ) in case you had a flood and didn't have a vacuum system handy to pull the water out. My cars run dry so I leave the holes open so that warm engine air dries out any moisture that might accumulate in the frame rails.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
Johns clutch arrived around noon, had lunch and back to shop by 1.By 3pm engine and Trany are back in car. 86* wew.

motor in 006.JPG

motor in 005.JPG

motor in 002.JPG

LSolheim

2 hours to mount the clutch, connect engine w/ transmission & reinstall?? And just what did you do in all the spare time? Good job!

jfriese

Gord has done this job a bunch of times by now but still, that's quick.

John Friese
67 White
67 Red

SNOWBIRD

Amphicar Expert
1 day lost,,, had to pull motor out again, (left my wrist watch inside) %^^&&^%
This job was supposed to be a 2 hr quick repair on brakes, Sat. of swim in, 3 weeks later!
There were so many thing done wrong on this car by someone?

Cindy amphi 022.JPG

motor in 008.JPG