'67 Amphi at Kruse Boca Raton, FL auction

Firechief

I attended the Kruse auction today and a fully restored '67 Amphi, Fjord Green over Apricot went across the block. The car was restored by an experienced and sophisticated antique car restorer as part of an episode for an upcoming cable TV car program to be aired on the National Geographic channel. The car was probably one of the nicest Amphis I have seen. I spoke to him at length and he said he used original NOS parts whenever he could find them. He used Gord Souter and Gordons parts. Although I am not an expert, from my experience owning a '64 Amphi in original, unrestored condition for almost 4 years and buying bits and pieces as needed, it was done up right. It was a complete ground up, nuts and bolts, mechanical and cosmetic restoration and it looked it. I did not get the VIN number. The bidding went up to $58,000 and stalled there. The seller did not let it go for that. He had told me he had somewhere around $75,000 in the car, and announced on the block that he would lift the reserve at $70,000, but there were no takers. I guess this shows that you cannot restore an Amphi (to better than new condition) and be ahead of the market any more (at least not now).

Ariel Poplack
Ft. Lauderdale

mike_israel

Amphicar Forum Admin
Staff member
Here is a recent article on that Amphi's maiden voyage.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/113-12262008-1643596.html

I think that the overall market for collector cars is in bad shape at the moment, not just Amphicars.* Lots of people out of work, and people can no longer tap into those easy home equity loans based on 5x the actual value of their homes.* It is a great time to be a buyer.* Still, an investment in a top quality amphi (or other collectible) is still probably a better investment than most stocks!

Midwest Amphicar

Worlds Largest Amphicar Destination
58k sounds pretty darn good !!! Guessing at numbers, his "loss" was maybe 12k. Maybe his business did not make a profit but everyone got paid. Hours of TV time sounds like an advertising write off. For such a big TV show and the drama, he should of went balls to the wall and NO RESERVE!!!:005: Later Dave the been there done that Wave

CapnJohn

Amphi Guru & Former IAOC President
I am still blown away at how fast the collector car market dropped. Specifically Amphicars. For the last 12 years that I have been interested in Amphicars we enjoyed a constant 10%-15% rise in value. In the last year they have dropped 25%+- depending on the quality. Better cars hold thier value longer while lesser cars loose value quickly.

chasgould

Hi John,
Respectfully, I disagree.
Frankly, everything from houses, to salaries, and certainly to collector cars (and especially Amphicars) have had their values inflated to levels which were unprecedented, and far beyond what is reasonable, and a correction was long overdue.
Besides if you were enjoying 15% annual appreciation for the past several years, then a 25% reduction in value, represents a correction of less than two years appreciation, which is far less than most other commodities.
The ridiculous and unrealistic value set at that auction with the 140K plus Amphicar, set an unrealistic expectation for the value of all other Amphicars, and like a good game of musical chairs, things had to eventually settle down once the music stopped playing. I pity the poor guy who is holding that 140K Amphicar (if it was a real sale at that price) when the music stopped playing!
Amphicars should have a realistic value of between $40K and $60K for very nice, properly restored, examples. For many years, they were undervalued and nice examples could be had for $24K to $35K, which was fortunate for many of us, but even recently, anything over $50K was unreasonably high for this particular commodity. That is not to say that people were not paying that, but those sales usually represented affluent buyers paying over market value for a novelty or unusual toy, particularly when the buyer was accustomed to paying several hundred thousand dollars for his usual type of car. In other words, this was a rather cheap toy for some very wealthy car enthusiasts. I have seen this with the microcars as buyers who often spend over $100K for Ferrari's, are happy to drop 20K to 30K on a microcar that is really worth around 10K to 14K. Many people have speculated on this particular appeal including some on this list.
The other thing that affects these cars is that most collectors of high end cars over $50K, usually pamper their cars, and often trailer them to shows and events, with many examples actually never being driven.
The inherent value of an Amphicar lies in its ability to be put into water, which immediately starts to deteriorate any restoraton, and which requires additional maintanance costs and effort to preserve the car.
In other words, if an investor or collector intends to use it in the water, it is hard to keep it as nice as the original restoration. If, on the other hand, he does not intend to use it in the water, it becomes significantly less valuable to that particular collector, as the unique characteristic of the Amphicar is lost on someone who won't put it in the drink.
I have had this delema presented to me with zero mileage Honda CBX motorcycles, which were offered for sale to me. On the one hand, a zero mileage CBX is worth a premium for the simple fact that it has never been used. However, if the buyer does not intend to use it, it becomes less valuable to a TRUE enthusiast, although it may be more valuable to a speculator or "investor". If, on the other hand, the TRUE enthusiast intends to ride the bike, he will destroy the premium value once he starts putting miles on that bike, and would be wiser to pay less for a nice, but non-zero mileage example, if he intends to ride it anyhow.
The exception to this rule would be the resale speculators, and all collector car speculation has dropped significantly as it is harder to insure a return on your investment in these difficult times.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Chas

QUOTE=CapnJohn;39326]I am still blown away at how fast the collector car market dropped. Specifically Amphicars. For the last 12 years that I have been interested in Amphicars we enjoyed a constant 10%-15% rise in value. In the last year they have dropped 25%+- depending on the quality. Better cars hold thier value longer while lesser cars loose value quickly.[/QUOTE]

Firechief

With cameras rolling, Amphicar's maiden voyage a success (phillyBurbs.com) | Intelligencer

I think that the overall market for collector cars is in bad shape at the moment, not just Amphicars.* Lots of people out of work, and people can no longer tap into those easy home equity loans based on 5x the actual value of their homes.* It is a great time to be a buyer.* Still, an investment in a top quality amphi (or other collectible) is still probably a better investment than most stocks!
I agree with that 100%. I have been going to 3-4 classic car auctions a year for the past 10 years at least, and was really surprised at the low prices cars were selling for this weekend. I, unfortunately, am not in the market to purchase a collector car this year, but if I was, there were some really wonderful deals that I was sad to have missed out on. I'm a little surprised how many people actually lifted their reserves and let cars go at substantial losses. I guess we are all hurting a bit.

Holland

Dave Wind 66 White
body{font-family: Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;background-color: #ffffff;color: black;}

I agree, prices have fallen, but mine is still worth $100,000. At least to my son and me. We love our Amphicar, its been in our family since new.
Dave Wind - White 1966
-----Original Message----- From: Firechief Sent: Jan 5, 2009 6:50 PM To: dhwind@earthlink.net Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20283] Re: '67 Amphi at Kruse Boca Raton, FL auction

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_israel
Here is a recent article on that Amphi's maiden voyage.With cameras rolling, Amphicar's maiden voyage a success (phillyBurbs.com) | IntelligencerI think that the overall market for collector cars is in bad shape at the moment, not just Amphicars.* Lots of people out of work, and people can no longer tap into those easy home equity loans based on 5x the actual value of their homes.* It is a great time to be a buyer.* Still, an investment in a top quality amphi (or other collectible) is still probably a better investment than most stocks!I agree with that 100%. I have been going to 3-4 classic car auctions a year for the past 10 years at least, and was really surprised at the low prices cars were selling for this weekend. I, unfortunately, am not in the market to purchase a collector car this year, but if I was, there were some really wonderful deals that I was sad to have missed out on. I'm a little surprised how many people actually lifted their reserves and let cars go at substantial losses. I guess we are all hurting a bit.

Canadian four amphs

Amphicar Expert
Yes the value has declined to more realalistic values,but when econimy gets back in the grove they will be worth a bit more so hold on if you can,sales of restored cars has stalled for me but unrestored are still selling good at the 15-25, 000 range.Parts sale were very good in 2008 and lots were sold to this car owner inluding the interior kit.

I also agree, I had alot of old cars in the past and there is nothing like an amphicar? Even through mine is
not a 100 point car, It is by far the most fun i have ever had in a car/boat. When you pull up on a island
everybody loves to come take a look. And there are at lease six amphis around me? And i mean in a
ten mile radious. One day i am going to get us all together and send some pictures to the club news
letter.

To: pvcj@hotmail.comSubject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20283] Re: '67 Amphi at Kruse Boca Raton, FL auctionDate: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 22:41:14 -0500From:

body{font-family: Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;background-color: #ffffff;color: black;}I agree, prices have fallen, but mine is still worth $100,000. At least to my son and me. We love our Amphicar, its been in our family since new.Dave Wind - White 1966-----Original Message----- From: Firechief Sent: Jan 5, 2009 6:50 PM To: dhwind@earthlink.net Subject: RE: [General Amphicar Discussion-t-20283] Re: '67 Amphi at Kruse Boca Raton, FL auction Quote:Originally Posted by mike_israel Here is a recent article on that Amphi's maiden voyage.With cameras rolling, Amphicar's maiden voyage a success (phillyBurbs.com) | IntelligencerI think that the overall market for collector cars is in bad shape at the moment, not just Amphicars.* Lots of people out of work, and people can no longer tap into those easy home equity loans based on 5x the actual value of their homes.* It is a great time to be a buyer.* Still, an investment in a top quality amphi (or other collectible) is still probably a better investment than most stocks!I agree with that 100%. I have been going to 3-4 classic car auctions a year for the past 10 years at least, and was really surprised at the low prices cars were selling for this weekend. I, unfortunately, am not in the market to purchase a collector car this year, but if I was, there were some really wonderful deals that I was sad to have missed out on. I'm a little surprised how many people actually lifted their reserves and let cars go at substantial losses. I guess we are all hurting a bit.

DavidC

Amphicar Expert
A few things are at work here.

The over 100K$ prices of a couple of years ago were a US only bubble puffed up by all that sub prime funny money sloshing about ! The effect on Amphicar prices was not seen anywhere else in the world.

RM auctions "bent" the market with a new way of selling - loud, brash, free bar.... very different to the normal way and very much a US only thing.... but it was good for them and did achieve some spectacular prices on ordinaryish cars.

As things return to normal the US market has taken a hit because the dollar is so strong relative to other world currencies (the Presidential effect) this means the normal steady flow of quality - mainly 1960s - German and British cars back to Europe from the Southern States has stopped dead

The European auctions are still doing reasonably well and good stuff is still selling at good prices - in fact next month there will be a real market test, a UK registered Bugatti Type 57 - recently discovered in a bricked up garage here - is going under the hammer at the Paris Retromobile classic show it is expected to make the equiv of 10 Million $US

Don't think links work here so for the story Google Bugatti Type 57S Atalante number 57502

David C in the UK.

S

SplitPersonality

'67 Amphi at Kruse Boca Raton, FL a...

I WAS NOT ABLE TO BRING UP THE ARTICLE ON THAT AMPHI'S MAIDEN VOYAGE.
SUGGESTIONS?

In a message dated 1/5/2009 10:31:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

_http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...8-1643596.html_
(http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/113-12262008-1643596.html)

I think that the overall market for collector cars is in bad shape at the
moment, not just Amphicars.* Lots of people out of work, and people can no
longer tap into those easy home equity loans based on 5x the actual value of
their homes.* It is a great time to be a buyer.* Still, an investment in a top
quality amphi (or other collectible) is still probably a better investment
than most stocks!

**************New year...new news. Be the first to know what is making
headlines. (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)

S

SplitPersonality

Re: '67 Amphi at Kruse Boca Raton, ...

Hello Charles

Very interesting dialogues even if differing viewpoints on Amphicar values.
I have a question. I may well have missed the sale to which you refer, but I
thought the Barrett Jackson sale price a couple of years ago was $115 with a
buyers premium making it $ 124K and that that was the highest for which an
Amphi had been sold. When the seller sent an e-mail to the Amphicar Lovers, he
identified himself as the guy " who upset the Amphicart " when two deep
pockets were determined to own that vehicle. Was there in fact an even more
ridiculous and unfortunate higher sale price somewhere ? I remember the Isetta
that sold in Newton the summer before last for something clsled to 20K and I
thought that was on the high side and fortunate for the seller as it preceded
the economy downturn. Vic near Daytona

In a message dated 1/5/2009 2:29:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Hi John,
Respectfully, I disagree.
Frankly, everything from houses, to salaries, and certainly to collector
cars (and especially Amphicars) have had their values inflated to levels which
were unprecedented, and far beyond what is reasonable, and a correction was
long overdue.
Besides if you were enjoying 15% annual appreciation for the past several
years, then a 25% reduction in value, represents a correction of less than two
years appreciation, which is far less than most other commodities.
The ridiculous and unrealistic value set at that auction with the 140K plus
Amphicar, set an unrealistic expectation for the value of all other
Amphicars, and like a good game of musical chairs, things had to eventually settle
down once the music stopped playing. I pity the poor guy who is holding that
140K Amphicar (if it was a real sale at that price) when the music stopped
playing!
Amphicars should have a realistic value of between $40K and $60K for very
nice, properly restored, examples. For many years, they were undervalued and
nice examples could be had for $24K to $35K, which was fortunate for many of
us, but even recently, anything over $50K was unreasonably high for this
particular commodity. That is not to say that people were not paying that, but
those sales usually represented affluent buyers paying over market value for a
novelty or unusual toy, particularly when the buyer was accustomed to paying
several hundred thousand dollars for his usual type of car. In other words,
this was a rather cheap toy for some very wealthy car enthusiasts. I have seen
this with the microcars as buyers who often spend over $100K for Ferrari's,
are happy to drop 20K to 30K on a microcar that is really worth around 10K to
14K. Many people have speculated on this particular appeal including some on
this list.
The other thing that affects these cars is that most collectors of high end
cars over $50K, usually pamper their cars, and often trailer them to shows
and events, with many examples actually never being driven.
The inherent value of an Amphicar lies in its ability to be put into water,
which immediately starts to deteriorate any restoraton, and which requires
additional maintanance costs and effort to preserve the car.
In other words, if an investor or collector intends to use it in the water,
it is hard to keep it as nice as the original restoration. If, on the other
hand, he does not intend to use it in the water, it becomes significantly less
valuable to that particular collector, as the unique characteristic of the
Amphicar is lost on someone who won't put it in the drink.
I have had this delema presented to me with zero mileage Honda CBX
motorcycles, which were offered for sale to me. On the one hand, a zero mileage CBX is
worth a premium for the simple fact that it has never been used. However, if
the buyer does not intend to use it, it becomes less valuable to a TRUE
enthusiast, although it may be more valuable to a speculator or "investor". If,
on the other hand, the TRUE enthusiast intends to ride the bike, he will
destroy the premium value once he starts putting miles on that bike, and would be
wiser to pay less for a nice, but non-zero mileage example, if he intends to
ride it anyhow.
The exception to this rule would be the resale speculators, and all
collector car speculation has dropped significantly as it is harder to insure a
return on your investment in these difficult times.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Chas

QUOTE=CapnJohn;39326]I am still blown away at how fast the collector car
market dropped. Specifically Amphicars. For the last 12 years that I have been
interested in Amphicars we enjoyed a constant 10%-15% rise in value. In the
last year they have dropped 25%+- depending on the quality. Better cars hold
thier value longer while lesser cars loose value quickly.[/quote]

chasgould

Hi Vic,
I apologize as I may have exaggerated the auction value of that Amphicar. I
was going from memory and I had thought that it was closer to $140,000 after
Buyer's premium. I think that it was the same carfrom the Barret Jackson
auction, and that it was the highest price yet paid for an Amphicar.
I have seen many Isettas in the 20K plus range, but not one form Newton,
where I live. Do you have any details on that sae for me to reference?
Happy new Year to all of you.
Chas

In a message dated 1/6/09 11:58:48 AM, writes:

> Was there in fact an even more
> ridiculous and unfortunate higher sale price somewhere ? I remember the
> Isetta
> that sold in Newton the summer before last for something clsled to 20K and I
> thought that was on the high side and fortunate for the seller as it
> preceded
> the economy downturn.
>

New year...new news. Be the first to know what is making

S

SplitPersonality

Hi Charles
One of the attendees at your Microcar extravaganza in 2007 sold his or
another attendee bought it or something like that. I remember talking with the
seller, but do not have any idea who that might have been. I think the selling
price was in the neighborhood of $19K or close to that.

In a message dated 1/7/2009 2:47:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Hi Vic,
I apologize as I may have exaggerated the auction value of that Amphicar. I
was going from memory and I had thought that it was closer to $140,000 after
Buyer's premium. I think that it was the same carfrom the Barret Jackson
auction, and that it was the highest price yet paid for an Amphicar.
I have seen many Isettas in the 20K plus range, but not one form Newton,
where I live. Do you have any details on that sae for me to reference?
Happy new Year to all of you.
Chas

In a message dated 1/6/09 11:58:48 AM, writes:

Quote:

> Was there in fact an even more
> ridiculous and unfortunate higher sale price somewhere ? I remember the
> Isetta
> that sold in Newton the summer before last for something clsled to 20K and
I

> thought that was on the high side and fortunate for the seller as it
> preceded
> the economy downturn.
>
headlines. (_http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)_
(http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026))

chasgould

In a message dated 1/7/09 4:30:49 PM, writes:

> One of the attendees at your Microcar extravaganza in 2007 sold his or
> another attendee bought it or something like that. I remember talking with
> the
> seller, but do not have any idea who that might have been. I think the
> selling
> price was in the neighborhood of $19K or close to that.
>
>
That may have actually been someone from this list (who will remain unnamed
at this time). I know that he sold a very expensive Isetta to a friend of mine,
and that it was represented as a restored car, which it was not! I know that
she had a ton of problems with the car, and that he refused to correct any of
them or to refund any of her money. I think that she spent upwards of 24K for
the car! But that car was sold on Ebay, and not at my event, and the seller is
certainly not from Newton.
Chas

Bilgemaster

Dear Cap'n John,

I can't say that I'M surprised in the least that the market value of
Amphis has slumped lately like Lincoln at the theatre (What? Too soon?),
since I believe that the dramatic leaps and bounds in overall values
seen from roughly 2003 or 2004 through 2007 seemed to have largely been
fueled by all that "easy money" that was out there (i.e. folks cashing
out their ballooning home equity) and from a concommitantly also-booming
stock market, itself having recovered (and then some) overall from that
dotcom bubble burst of 2001.

So, no surprise really: We just had herds of irrationally exuberant
toyseekers with fistfuls of "extra" semolians chasing a limited quantity
of Scooby Snacks or whatever...Now, the herds are fearfully pulling
back, some head-in-sand, retrenching and perhaps wondering whether 2009
might find them in the public library googling recipes for Alpo
meatloaf. (Tip: it's all in the gravy, baby.)
The high water mark in OVERALL values must have been in the months
shortly after that Scottsdale auction where some rather choice Amphi
hauled in a high bid of something like $140,000, reportedly caused more
because a couple of guys got in a bidders' pissing contest than from any
real intrinsic grounds. The effect of that auction amongst the Amphicar
squadron at large, of course, was to immediately hoist EVERYbody's
expectations as to what their own old patch job of a rust bucket must be
worth (and also to thoroughly vindicate Hugh Gordon, who'd been going on
and on for as long as I've known him about how we'd see "hundred
thousand dollar Amphicars" one day).

Perception became, at least partly and for a time, reality, and so
presto!: Any leaking chumbucket of an Amphi that could drag itself into
and then (if only in theory) OUT of the drink suddenly at least doubled
or sometimes tripled or quadrupled in value (or at least asking price).
Even those hitherto economically marginally viable sub-$10 grand
"project cars" that could be got all day and night by the baker's dozen
in the late '90s and were often, frankly, scarcely worth the cost of
restoring when a decent swimmer could be had for maybe $12 to 20 grand
(depending on the season, condition and location), suddenly became WORTH
restoring, and many were. So, that, as far as I am concerned, being
neither a seller nor potential buyer, was the upside of all this
"irrational exuberance"...namely, causing more happily working Amphis to
be out there. More Amphis means more fun, and that's a fine thing.
Conversely, the (hopefully) temporary downside of the price boom was
that too many restored "investment Amphis" were suddenly considered too
intrinsically valuable to have any damned fun with. Hopefully, at least
some of these "trailer queens" that never get wetter than [insert saucy
metaphor here] may be dethroned one day soon to fully live out their
true destinies as swimming Amphicars, as "Hansi" intended.

So, where will Amphi prices go from here? Well, DOWN, of course...at
least in the short term. And while it will clearly be some time before
we see any more $100+ Grand Amphis rolling off the auction blocks, that
day may come again much sooner than you think, but for a rather
different reason than before: namely a very likely plunge in the real
value of a buck, which now seems all but foreordained to soon be getting
far less bang for, well...itself. Those ruinous costs all put on the
cuff for the various wars, bailouts...oh, excuse me...I mean "rescue
packages"...and all the other looming lumbering deficit beasts that are
keeping my nextdoor neighbors in the Bureau of Engraving & Printing
churning out those greenbacks in triple shifts through the night to pay
all those multiple pipers will be felt by us all. More dollars chasing
limited Amphicars (or tangerines or jugs of my all-natural Viagrunt®
male enhancement ointment) will simply mean that each dollar will be
worth less. Trillions in recent "paper losses" may buffer the effects
of a wave of cheapened bucks in the short term, but not forever. So,
your $25,000 run-of-the-mill Plain Jane Amphi may indeed soon command
$100,000 or more in a few years...But then again, that can of Alpo will
be costing you $4 by then. (Tip: Try the Chicken and Rice flavor!)

The good news is that unlike your greenbacks, Amphicars will likely hold
and even increase in value in real terms once any kind of equilibrium
reasserts itself for better or worse. Things do tend to right
themselves over time. When hard times or even just the FEAR of hard
times looms, "luxury items" are always the first to feel the penny
pinching. Few but perhaps some river or lake island dwellers really
"need" an Amphicar as a practical matter any more than most folks "need"
a LearJet or an emerald-encrusted umbrella stand. But the good news is
that unlike other purely indulgent commodities, Amphicars will always
sport that bullet-proof visceral appeal that umbrella stands will always
lack, no matter how shiny they are. I believe that the slightly
off-center, even "goofy" appeal of any Amphicar transcends mere "luxury"
to touch somehow on the realm of transcendant spiritual yearnings in
some ineffable way. I saw firsthand proof of this mysterious
transcendence the very first year I had my own OLD BUOY and drove it to
that Carlisle Auto Show in Pennsylvania. Those who've been will attest
as to how tight parking is during the Festival, with the locals selling
spots in their front yards. I ended up snuggling OLD BUOY in a spot
between a Lamborghini and a gorgeous Rolls Silver Shadow whose hood
ornament alone would have commanded more mammon than I had paid to bring
my OLD BUOY home. When I came back from the fairgrounds, I was treated
to the sight of a crowd basically using both the Rolls and Lamborghini
as bum pads, all facing my crusty old Amphi with its goiterous
puss-colored bondoed quarterpanels seemingly patched up by volunteers
from the Columbia Lighthouse for the Blind. THAT'S when I realized
Amphicars were the trump card of luxury vehicles...transcendently, so.
To echo those Visa commercials, "Driving you car into the lake:
Priceless." So, if you've got an Amphi, you've been blessed, no matter
what you paid for it or into it...Yes, even that "Hey, did I REALLY
spend $140,000 for some boat-car yesterday?", guy.

On a more mundane level, the REAL trend to acknowledge in bedrock
Amphicar valuation wasn't the recently-burst bubble of way too much dumb
money looking for "alternative investment vehicles" driving up prices in
leapfrogging paces reminiscent of that other avaricious pastime of the
Big Bubble, "house flipping." No, the REAL trend has been that the
Internet has thoroughly transformed the whole market for Amphicars from
what had been a local or at best fringe "enthusiasts-only" market into
an easy-to-enter international one. After all, I found my own OLD BUOY
in 1994 by calling an old phone number for the former owners club's
President that I painstakingly dug out of an old edition of the
'Encyclopedia of Associations', which was the source one turned to
before the web came along if you wanted to find, say, The Nancy Sinatra
Fan Club or maybe some kind of amphibious vehicle support group. I
mean, before "the web" took off, one had to really WANT an Amphicar, or
perhaps know someone with one or perhaps serendipitously encounter one
to get one. All this has changed. An open marketplace with more buyers
for any relatively scarce commodity means higher prices. It's that
simple.

Once the recent excesses are corrected, and assuming the economy doesn't
get "completely medieval on your ass", as the wise man said, I project a
steady but inexorable appreciation in value. So, if you're lucky enough
tp have one, hold on to that Amphi...Not only will it hold its value on
so many different levels over the long term, but your Alpo will always
taste like foie gras in an Amphi at sunset on a lake.

Regards,
Bilgey

P.S. Why yes, it WAS a long bus ride this morning. Why do you ask?
(i.e. Sorry for this lonnnnggg post)

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 1:14 pm, CapnJohn wrote:

> I am still blown away at how fast the collector car market dropped.
> Specifically Amphicars. For the last 12 years that I have been
> interested in Amphicars we enjoyed a constant 10%-15% rise in value. In
> the last year they have dropped 25%+- depending on the quality. Better
> cars hold thier value longer while lesser cars loose value quickly.
>
>

chasgould

In a message dated 1/7/09 6:44:18 PM, writes:

> P.S. Why yes, it WAS a long bus ride this morning. Why do you ask?
> (i.e. Sorry for this lonnnnggg post)
>
>
Hey Bilgey,
No apology necessary as this was a bit of delightful and insightful reading.
You aren't going to be taking that long of a bus ride every day, though, are
you?
Chas

Ken Chambers

Platinum Subscriber
Hello Bilgey,

I always look forward to your insightful writings with colorful
linguistics and often humorous remarks. This one had me and my son
doing belly laughs.

> When I came back from the fairgrounds, I was treated
> to the sight of a crowd basically using both the Rolls and Lamborghini
> as bum pads, all facing my crusty old Amphi

Gotta love it.

All the best,
Ken Chambers, CA
'64 Red

S

SplitPersonality

Charles
I did not mean to imply that the seller was from Newton or had anything
whatsoever to do with the event. It is just that it was at your Newton event that
I learned about it in talking with the seller, but I have no idea how they
advertised it or found the buyer. Vic

In a message dated 1/7/2009 5:26:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

In a message dated 1/7/09 4:30:49 PM, writes:

Quote:

> One of the attendees at your Microcar extravaganza in 2007 sold his or
> another attendee bought it or something like that. I remember talking with
> the
> seller, but do not have any idea who that might have been. I think the
> selling
> price was in the neighborhood of $19K or close to that.
>
>
That may have actually been someone from this list (who will remain unnamed
at this time). I know that he sold a very expensive Isetta to a friend of
mine,
and that it was represented as a restored car, which it was not! I know that
she had a ton of problems with the car, and that he refused to correct any
of
them or to refund any of her money. I think that she spent upwards of 24K
for
the car! But that car was sold on Ebay, and not at my event, and the seller
is
certainly not from Newton.
Chas

headlines. (_http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)_
(http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026))

**************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy
steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1215855013x1201028747/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26bcd=De
cemailfooterNO62)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Gold Amphi at Kruse/Dallas General Amphicar Discussion 1
M Kruse Hershey Auction Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 3
RalphF Georgia Amphi Restoration Restorations in progress 5
RalphF Amphi Shirt General Amphicar Discussion 4
mike_israel Amphi article in Classic Motorsports Magazine General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel The Time Has Come ... Selling the Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 7
SNOWBIRD 1965 Amphi project General Amphicar Discussion 1
Jon March Insurance when towing Amphi vs when on road? General Amphicar Discussion 5
Jon March Suddenly "revving up" when in water -Does your Amphi do this? General Amphicar Discussion 13
Jon March Anyone know who ended up buying this Amphi? General Amphicar Discussion 1
Jon March Amphi rear driveshaft & axle detail - Youtube video General Amphicar Discussion 3
SNOWBIRD 64 Amphi??? General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel OT: Something like this could be useful for Amphi and parts purchases General Amphicar Discussion 0
SNOWBIRD Amphi bottoms General Amphicar Discussion 1
Jon March we could all use help with this Amphi issue: General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Amphi on Bring a Trailer General Amphicar Discussion 2
mike_israel What did you do to your Amphi today? General Amphicar Discussion 16
Bilgemaster Original Amphi Key No. 5415? General Amphicar Discussion 13
Mark Richardson RHD Museum Amphi sells at BJ auction this weekend..... General Amphicar Discussion 2
Mark Richardson 2017 Barrett-Jackson auction includes single Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 7
Cameron in UK Anyone know the source of this New York Amphi photo ? General Amphicar Discussion 6
dutchamphi Amphi-scooter General Amphicar Discussion 1
SNOWBIRD A blip on Fred's Amphi. General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Future Amphi Owner Earns Eagle Scout General Amphicar Discussion 3
mike_israel Toolbox Deal at Home Depot (No Amphi Content) General Amphicar Discussion 0
Mark Richardson Amphi sold at Barrett Jackson tonight General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Securing Amphi and Trailer General Amphicar Discussion 7
mike_israel No Amphi content. Search engine duckduckgo.com General Amphicar Discussion 0
mike_israel Non-Amphi garage project - shelves General Amphicar Discussion 4
amphi-Ben Amphi Swim In the Netherlands General Amphicar Discussion 3
mike_israel It's the Amphi-Jeep for Less than $2k General Amphicar Discussion 1
azpaul50 Amphi with Spare Harley behind! General Amphicar Discussion 0
SNOWBIRD Another Amphi swims General Amphicar Discussion 0
A Barn Find 1965 Amphi Restorations in progress 3
Midwest Amphicar Why you should visit Florida with your Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 1
Midwest Amphicar Amphi fins and snow drifts General Amphicar Discussion 4
Mark Richardson Barrett-Jackson Auction Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 2
T 62 amphi brake problems General Amphicar Discussion 8
Midwest Amphicar Another sweet Ebay Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 0
Midwest Amphicar Sweet Ebay Amphi General Amphicar Discussion 2
azpaul50 Amphi at Auction General Amphicar Discussion 0
azpaul50 Home-made Amphi in Calexico, CA General Amphicar Discussion 2
Midwest Amphicar Did you put a gift under the tree for your Amphi? General Amphicar Discussion 4
Midwest Amphicar warm weather memory or how to dry amphi General Amphicar Discussion 3
Midwest Amphicar Driving Amphi to Florida from Illinois ?! General Amphicar Discussion 0
F amphi in a video General Amphicar Discussion 6
Midwest Amphicar Christmas Present,Green Amphi for sale General Amphicar Discussion 3
laserfixr Amphi on HDTheater General Amphicar Discussion 2
T Amphi in Restaurant Ad General Amphicar Discussion 3
Ed Price FW: Amphi Model on YouTube General Amphicar Discussion 0